When it comes to maintaining a commercial or industrial building, accessing the roof is often necessary. Whether it’s for cleaning gutters, repairing HVAC units, or inspecting the roof for damage, having a safe way to access the roof is critical. That’s where roof walks come in.
Roof walks are a type of walkway system that provide safe and secure surfaces for workers to walk on while performing maintenance tasks. Here are a few reasons why roof walks are essential for safe maintenance:
- Prevent Damage to the Roof – Walking on unprotected roof panels and seams can greatly increase the chances of a worker accidentally damaging or otherwise compromising the integrity of your roof. Installing a safe, lightweight, interlocking roof walk system is an effective way to prevent costly damage to your roof that can lead to damaging leaks.
- Increase Safety – According to OSHA, falls from roofs account for a significant portion of workplace fatalities and injuries. Installing a roof walk system with proper safety features, such as guardrails and non-slip surfaces, can greatly reduce the risk of falls and injuries.
- Improve Efficiency – With a roof walk system in place, workers can move across the roof quickly and safely, increasing their productivity and efficiency. This can result in faster completion of maintenance tasks and less downtime for your business.
Materials and Designs
At Custom Curb, Inc., we offer a range of roof walk systems to suit your specific needs. Our standard fabrication specifications include 18 gauge galvanized steel, secure mounting using aluminum clamping blocks for standing seam roofs, and standard widths of 24 inches, 36 inches, or any width in multiples of 12 inches. Our planks are 10 feet long, 12 inches wide, and 2-1/2 inches high, with a versatile interlocking plank design.
In addition, we offer options for 16 or 14 gauge material, pitch correction to provide level tops, and handrail systems for added safety. We also provide CAD drawings of the walkway and handrail for your convenience.
To ensure your roof walk system remains in good condition, regular maintenance is necessary. Here are a few tips:
- Inspect the system regularly for any signs of damage or wear and tear.
- Keep the walkway free of debris, ice, and snow to prevent slips and falls.
- Check the handrail system to ensure it’s secure and in good condition.
- Follow OSHA Regulations
It’s important to note that OSHA has specific regulations regarding roof access and fall protection. Make sure to consult with a professional to ensure your roof walk system meets these requirements.
Investing in a roof walk system is a smart choice for any property owner or facility manager who wants to prioritize safety and efficiency. At Custom Curb, Inc., we have the expertise and experience to provide you with a customized roof walk solution that meets your specific needs. Contact us today to learn more.
OSHA Regulations – https://www.osha.gov/laws-regs/regulations/standardnumber/1910/1910.23